You wake up early in the morning and the window is open, sunlight will probably enter and enlighten you. When you step out of the house, it will fall upon you no matter where you go unless it is in some sort of covering or shelter. It is a gift of nature and a gift of God and one should embrace it and bask in it but they should be careful at the same time. As they say, too much of a good thing isn’t beneficial either. Oh well, there are two sides to every story. And you get to read both.
The Negative Effect
Sunlight has various negative features to it. But be careful in noting that the negative elements only take place when the exposure to sunlight is way too much than normal. Otherwise, it is a pretty harmless element in one’s life. Though in whatever way, there are negative effects. Some of them are outlined here in detail.
• It causes the aging of skin. For those who do care a lot about beauty, this could seriously be their worst nightmare.
• It causes wrinkles. Yes, when people grow older they are bound to get a few wrinkles but too much exposure to sunlight gets the skin to age faster and develop wrinkles faster.
• Ultra violet rays from the Sun can cause skin cancer but the chances of that are few. Still, the percentage of occurrence of skin cancer is surprisingly increasing.
• Too much sunlight can also damage the skin cells and cause sunburn, which is very common in sunny areas and along coastal areas.
• Sunlight is also known to damage the immune system. As absurd as it may sound, it is true.
While you have pimples or freckles on the skin, rather than healing the body makes them more prominent. However, note that this only happens when a lot of exposure is received. Most of the negative effects of sunlight are due to an extreme exposure of sunlight, not sunlight.
• The UV rays also make the collagen of the skin break down so the skin becomes rough looking.
The Positive Effect
It is time for a little positivity about sunlight. If you read the positive effects after the negative ones, you won’t leave reading the article a cynic. And if you’ve read the pattern carefully, sunlight can only harm you if you have a lot of exposure towards it. Please do not go around hiding from it. Here, you will learn how sunlight benefits you.
• The greatest benefit of sunlight is that it keeps the skin healthy looking otherwise a person who has been deprived of sunlight at long stretches has a pale and scaly looking skin.
• Sunlight is also known to cure skin cancer. But the thingis, sunlight at a moderate level. Not too much.
• Psoriasis is a condition where the skin sheds the cells quickly and develops itchy patches. A treatment method is to sit in the sunlight for a little while every day. The UV rays decreases the speed at which the cells are being shed and the skin is healed to being healthier looking.
• Some doctors call sunlight a ‘natural disinfectant’. Little exposure to sunlight over several time periods can clear many mild skin conditions that are prevalent in teenagers and even adults.
• A little sunlight also puts more color into the skin and beautifies it.
• It hastens healing.
• Research shows that skin also cleans out some of the bacteria on the skin with the UV rays present.
Sunlight is a wonderful thing for human health in general, and not just the skin. But the key to get all benefits from sunlight is to have a little of it. As you have read above, it is quite clear the sunlight in little amount has the power to heal, keep the skin fresh and provides the nourishment the skin needs. And if there is too much exposure to sunlight, it can indeed be disastrous. You should go out in the sunlight on a daily basis and give the advantage to your skin that it deserves. But remember; do not sit in it for hours at a stretch. What can happen, you already know.
Read more here: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/anatomyvideos/000125.htm